Skip to main content
Longform writing that tends to make people angry.
Week note 2
- Cream teas and döners.
Week Note 1
- Episode IV: A New Start (at week noting).
The Old Country
- I think I may want to be a genealogist now.
CMS via Dropbox
The mysterious case of missing URLs and Google's AMP
- Google has a monopoly on search rankings. We can't let them obtain a monopoly on websites.
It's time to say goodbye to Twitter
- Social media has become death by a thousand angry micro-posts. Maybe it's time to get away.
Removing Site Tracking
- I don't get paid enough by the NSA
IndieWeb Camp Berlin 2018
Getting started with data science tools
- Using a microscope to hammer DNA
- What could go wrong?
Speaking at Frontend United 2017, my first ever conference
- Speaking at people in public
User Queries: Returning control to the user
- Give them the power to fuck up in their own way.
Staffordshire Oatcake Recipe
- Stick 'em in your pasty white face while on the way to see Vale and Stoke play a derby match.
Some feedback from the Internet of Men
- Thanks for writing in. Sadly, you were wrong.
An open letter to the guy who wrote that 'Always Hacking' tweet
- Seriously dude, what's wrong with you?
Yes, progressive enhancement is a fucking moral argument
- You don't get to choose who is viewing your work, you fucking fuck.
My favourite UX, design and frontend development podcasts
- aka mouthblogs
Setting the scope for Loom
- First in a series of posts on learning to write Loom, a new Sass framework.
Auto-publishing via npm version
- tl;dr npm version handles semver and publishes for you...
- A framework that helps you weave your own pattern libraries.
Deploying a compiled site to a personal Github Pages account
- Personal Github Pages only allow either static sites or Jekyll as a source, not both.
Twitter image accessibility
- The way we use Twitter isn't accessible for everyone.
Ich bin ein Berliner
- No, not a jam doughnut. Come on, we're past that joke.
- Look at the pretty graphs!
Food at tech events
- You've never noticed the food at tech events. Not unless you've got some kind of dietary restriction.
Providing a fallback for critical-path CSS
- tl;dr make sure you do it.
Migrating your team to Sass
- Migrating to a modern process is all about the planning.
Making this site open
- I'm such a generous soul.
Inlining critical CSS
- Sticking some nitro up your CSS.
Visual Regression Testing
- Visual Regression Testing becomes more important the more complex a project becomes
Using Bootstrap on a large site
- Say you've done this and watch the hordes descend upon you.
Bootstrap verbosity and mysterious IE problems
- Bootstrap? Verbose? Pull the other one. It has bells on it.
Bypassing Jekyll via Grunt
- Just do an end run around it.
Setting up an OS X machine
- Gotta get those techno-hipster points.
- It's static, it's fast, it's... sexy? No. No it isn't.
Working with Jekyll and the asset pipeline
- It's actually quite exciting.
Categorising front end ticket severity
- Ticket severity seems to be orientated towards backend projects.
Webmention notify form
Have you written a response to this? Let me know the URL